Eagle Service Station
Eagle Service Station was listed in the Green Book as “Eagle’s” under “Service Station” in Greenville in 1947. No address was given for the business.1
Eagle Service Station was a business located in “The Block,” an African American business district in what is now Uptown Greenville, from the mid-to-late 1940s. The business opened between 1945 and 1946 and was closed by 1950.2
Eagle Service Station and Eagle Taxi were owned by Alfred Williams (born in 1913) and were both located at 313 Albemarle Avenue; the address changed to 600 Albemarle Avenue in 1949. The service station sold Shell products and offered general auto repairing. Williams later worked as a driver for City Cab, also located in “The Block.”3
Essay by Brandie K. Ragghianti, 2022
- Victor Green, 1947 Green Book, 64.
- “Eagle Taxi” (two separate ads on same page), The Carolinian, September 7, 1946, 7 (digital image 15), accessed from https://newspapers.digitalnc.org; Miller’s 1944-1945 Greenville City Directory; Miller’s 1947-1948 Greenville City Directory, 150 (alphabetical listing); Miller’s 1949-1950 Greenville City Directory, 361 (street listing); Miller’s 1951-1952 Greenville City Directory, 139 (alphabetical listing).
- Note: name sometimes given as “Albert” in records. Alfred Williams, January 6, 1913, Greenville, Pitt County, North Carolina, US World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947, accessed from www.ancestry.com; “Eagle Taxi” (two separate ads on same page), The Carolinian, September 7, 1946, 7 (digital image 15), accessed from https://newspapers.digitalnc.org; Miller’s 1954-1955 Greenville City Directory, 322 (alphabetical listing).